search
top

A bit of Blücher

We were having a go at Napoleonics with Jim. 200 points of Spanish vs French in an early Peninsular game. The Spanish hordes managed to hold their lines and beat back the higher quality French. Very nice game, the system is one of our... read more

Blücher and Bailen

Petri, Chris and Aksu had a game of Blücher with 15 mm Spanish and French armies. The game was a refight of Bailen using the scenario from Honour downloads.     The mini campaign saw the main armies find each other at Bailen, with half of the French coming as reinforcements. On the tabletop the Spanish failed to take advantage of their early superiority in numbers and the battle ended in a French victory.     ... read more

Times they are a changing…

Since our sponsor, Fantasiapelit, moved to a new location last month we lost our club space. Luckily we were able to band up with another band of like minded gentlemen gamers, Stadin Strategit and with the increased membership, together we were able to rent a twice as big club room than what they had previously. Certainly a change of pace for us since half of the walls are now covered with windows and you can see the fabled outside through them -quite a change of pace for the Gemigabok orcs who were used to staying underground. Unfortunately as there isn’t as much space available as previously, and we have have to take other players into consideration as well we had to dump plenty of material reserved for future projects away. Then again, if you haven’t used the several cubic meters of styrofoam to make those buildings you planned a decade go, it is a safe bet you won’t be doing so in near future either… We also had to let go of the five large 9 by 5 foot purpose built 1808 Russo -Swedish War terrains. Luckily we were able to hand them over to Ropecon who were also sponsors of the whole project so in the end it was very appropriate that they were the recipients of the terrain. They’ll most likely put them in good use in future Ropecons as terrain for miniature gaming tournaments and such. This was a huge relief since it would’ve  been heartbreaking to throw them to garbage. These babieseach  took around 110 to 140 hours to make and it would’ve felt like abandoning your children!   Here are even crappier pics than usually of each of the terrain taken with my crappy cellphone.   Lapua (Lappo in swedish) Oravainen (Oravais in swedish) Ruona Salmi Koljonvirta (Virta bro in swedish)... read more

Spanish lancer conversion

My Spanish 1808 army has many small one-off units. One of these intriguing formations is the lancers that fought at Bailen “Los Garrochistas de Utrera”. This unit is fascinating as it was raised from the mounted bull-fighters, and they wore their normal work-gear into battle. I ordered a bag of Battle Honors Spanish Lancers BSP9 for these troops, but unfortunately the figures are completely wrong for this unit. So I had to do a bit of converting to get my hombres on the table. The original figures are good castings, but are probably best used for depicting lancer in the pro-French army of King Joseph. The horses are nicely animated and have lots of variation. The troopers are mostly identical, and the pack has two different commander types – one with a saber and a trumpeter. I decided to do a fairly light-weight conversion for the troopers, changing the headgear from helmet to wide-brimmed hat, removing shoulder straps and replacing the cast lances with brass wire. I did not bother to carve away their carbines or sabers, but left them in place. I carved and filed away the crest of the helmet. The brim of the hat was thin plasticard. I used a hollow punch to cut out the shape of the hat and the hole in the middle for the filed-away crown of the head to poke through. A set of hollow punches has proven to be a very good investment. I use it a lot to punch out small round markers to glue on unit bases, using different colours to indicate to which larger unit a stand belongs to, or individual stand capabilites – for example red for automatic weapons in my Force on Force figures. I cut away the lances and drilled a hole for a brass wire replacement. I usually try to replace thin flag posts and lances with thin brass wire, as I hate how the white metal shafts always bend and break away in the heat of the battle. The figures were primed with white, and painted to match the usual pictures I’ve seen online – green jackets and brown hats. I used two or three variations of green, to get the usual variety I like in my troops. I left the officer figures unmodified – I thought the chaps probably passed the hat around to get some properly martial gear for the jefes to impress the senoritas, and maybe the men in... read more

More Spanish infantry

In my earlier posts I’ve shown pics of the units built around the excellent 15 mm Battle Honours figures by Tony Barton. This post covers some of the Old Glory and Blue Moon figures I use for my 1808 Spanish.

read more

« Previous Entries

top